Search engine optimization is one overrated thing. And I know its not just me who thinks it this way. But even with that fact, I still have a lot of respect for the top SEO guys like Aaron Wall, Danny Sullivan and some other ones. They’re the guys whom I think have the most extensive and updated knowledge about the topic that’s why I keep on following them.
Anyway back to the topic. I know a lot of newcomers in the business or even the experienced ones rely too much on search engines. I mean, the time that they allot in planning and strategizing for SEO is just too much. Now this leads us to the question, “Can you really depend on your SEO tactics for the profitability of your site?”. I’m sure we will all have mixed takes about it.
As most of you know, I guest post a lot these days and I wrote an article over the cool folks at Sem-group which is all about SEO, SEM and Social media. In that post I discussed a lot about how they’re connected and how SEM and social media play vital role in giving the site the initial boost. Here’s an excerpt:
When building a website or any online-based project, you want to build SEO in it from the get-go. You want to optimize it for those key terms that you’re looking into from the start. I know you’re saying, “how can you do that, you don’t even have content yet?” Yes, you’re right but what I mean is that with every websites you can already set up things from the start that would give you a dramatic effect later on. Let me explain.For example, if I’m building a site based on a WordPress platform, I can start fine-tuning the site’s search goals by doing the necessary things like adding an All in One SEO pack, canonicalizing the domain, setting up the meta descriptions properly and creating a robots.txt (and many more of course). You see, these are the things that you can already do from the start yet it doesn’t take that much to do those. On the flip side, it may not yield that much results for the first few months but its future benefits would be enormous for sure.
Search Engine Optimization isn’t a short-term goal in the first place right? Organic rankings is something that can be achieved over time and if you’re getting lots of traffic from search engines then you know what I’m talking about.
It’s a Contest, Help me Win it!
Yes, the article I’ve written above is a contest entry. Sem-Group.net was lucky enough to gather over $2000 of prizes at stake and as all of you know, I love joining contests. Here are the cold-blooded prizes and their sponsors:
$200 Prize Sponsors
- Link Building from Daniel McGonagle
- Best Travel Sites from BestTravelWebsites.com
- Vacation Rentals from ArrangeYourVacation.com
$150 Prize Sponsors
- The Best Candy Store
$100 Prize Sponsors
- Marriage Advice from Alisa Bowman
- Internet Marketing Services provided by Vertical Measures
- SEO Software from Sheer SEO
- SEO Ottawa – SEO consultants, writers, and translators in Canada
- Virtual Assistants from Offshore Ally
- Thesis Skins by Hesham Zebida
- Houston SEO services provided by Gerald Weber
- Network Marketing Training from Toni J Young
- Distinctive Ecards by Quillcards
- Ghostwriting services provided by Ghostwriter Dad
$50 Prize Sponsors
- Whitney Segura’s Internet Marketing Blog
- James Brown
- Houston web design by Raxa Design
- Freelance Copywriter Eric Brantner
- Houston Business Development by The Servant Media
- Increasing Targeted Website Traffic by Ana Hoffman, Traffic Generation Cafe
- Kennewick Homes from The Lane Real Estate Team
Other prizes: Non-Cash Sponsors
- Hostgator.com is offering a 1 year Business Web Hosting plan. Includes toll free phone number and SSL, a $179.40 value.
- David Harry is offering a full years membership at SEO Training Dojo, a value of $250.
- Link-Assistant.Com is offering SEO tools – SEO PowerSuite Enterprise (max. functionality license) $599 worth with a life-time LIVE! plan subscription.
- Special thanks to the contest media partner My Blog Guest, the free guest post exchange community by Ann Smarty where users meet to exchange guest posts and network.
What’s needed for me to win
To help me win the contest, simply visit the post above, share your opinion by commenting and retweet it. The more comments and retweets the more chances of me winning. As you can see right now, I’m in the last place as far as both are concern but that would change if you help me out. 😀
Again here’s the post: http://sem-group.net/search-engine-optimization-blog/sem-seo-social-media-and-their-connection-to-each-other/ feel free to check it out!