So like what my previous post said, I have finally attended a blog event here in Philippines and it’s the popular Wordcamp 09. Much to my dismay that my camera lost bout three days before the Wordcamp started, I still attended the event with high hopes that I would learn a lot and more importantly meet new people and make new friends. Here are some photos that was taken from Jehzlau’s gallery (I just took some pics):
As I’ve said this is the first event that I happened to have attended and I was really tensed at first. Good thing is that a guy named Alvin (hey your link?) approached me and introduced himself and introduced me to the Nuffnang people and some other people as well, and that paved the way for me to open my mouth and start talking. 😀 Just in case you don’t know I am a really really shy kid and stuffs.
Anyways w/o further ado here are the things I have learned from the said event and how you can learn from them as well:
- Overcome shyness – Yes. It’s totally useless if you’re going to attend an event and talk to no one. One of the meat in these events is the “talking part” w/other people. If you’re shy like me my tip is, try to get yourself going. I mean just a simple hi or a smile to/from someone could boost your confidence a lot. And then try to capitalize on it and just keep going and go with the flow.
- Make the Most of the Opportunity – You may have heard me a lot talk about Carl Ocab here. The truth is, prior to the event, we have not seen each other face to face although we know each other kinda about 2+ years now w/o meeting personally. So what I did was I approached him and just talked spontaneously. Boy, it’s such a humbling experience to have a conversation with a guy like him who is really bright and knows a lot of stuffs.
- Ask Questions – Just like in anything, not all are understandable. Even the best speakers in the world, had their audiences asking questions. If you don’t understand somethign, ask questions~! Or again if you’re shy, you can do so after the said event. Example is, I had a question to Mr. Ryan Reynolds Seth of Firefox and because I was shy, I approached him at the end of the event.
- Bring Business Cards – Oh my god! I can’t believe I didn’t have one for the event. 🙁 Well my piece is do not ever think that people would get annoyed when you hand them out with your business card. The truth about events is that people attend it to network and meet new people, w/c would lead later on to joint ventures, friendships and stuffs. If you don’t know how to make one, just try to get a small piece of paper and put your details and thats it! 😉
- Attend the after-parties – LOLs, another one that I didn’t do. Unfortunately that day I was kinda rushing to go to Greenbelt three to meet someone. Well if you’re really out to meet new people and make friends, you must attend the after-parties. After all it’s fun and you wouldn’t get that much drunk anyways (hopefully). 🙂
- Bring a Camera – In my case I lost my camera, and so I brought my Flip to take some clips from the said event. I know some people would say they don’t have one, but it’s not really hard to borrow from someone right? Remember the one thing that you’d probably want to have is a remembrance of an event you attended.
Another one is a guy named Jehzeel Laurente. He is a very popular figure (he’s like the Shoemoney of Philippines) and one of the sponsors. We talked together very briefly during lunch and it’s a pleasure to actually meet someone famous personally. So talk with people you know when you see them personally and try just not to be annoying.. 😀
Wordcamp 09 is really a good and interesting event. I’ve learned a lot, enjoyed a lot and got tired eventually. Hope you guys learned and if you have anything to add, feel free to do so in the comment form.
Note: Would like to express my gratitude to the organizers of the said event, the Mindanao Bloggers community. And well, I’d list all people I’ve seen there and there link hopefully. Gratitudes to Blogie (one who told me there’s no dress code), Migs (emcee), Chatee (lone girl in the organizer’s section) Alvin, Jhoey, to the photographers and many many more (more name and link here, please). If you’re one of the photographers and had taken a pic that includes me, feel free to send it to me and I”ll send you a cup of coffee.. 😀